Easy DIY Mother's Day Scrub
Homemade DIY body scrubs are the most underrated gifts of all time. They take two seconds, they’re cheap af, they’re super pretty, and they are the MOST luxurious Mother’s Day present around.
EASY DIY MOTHER’S DAY SCRUB
Homemade body scrubs are the most underrated gifts of all time. They take two seconds, they’re cheap af, they’re super pretty, and they are the MOST luxurious. You’ll feel super crafty and the mama + other caregiving ladies in your life will feel so pampered. (I like to make several at a time and give them out to all of the women I love as often as possible.)
Here are the BASICS.
HOW TO MAKE A DIY SCRUB
- Start with your jar/jars. Use it to measure your sugar. If you’re filling 4 jars that are 4 ounces each, for example, you’ll want to scoop sugar with the jar and into a big bowl four times.
- Go crazy with the mix-ins. Some easy faves: coconut oil, olive oil, honey, coffee grounds, sea salt, shredded coconut, essential oils, tea, and my personal favorite: any old but delicious body scrub you have sadly dying in your bathroom that just needs some love and fresh new friends.
- Work your scrub ingredients together like you’re making dough. Or granola. Or… sugar scrub. It’s up to you how you want the consistency. Use less wet ingredients to make it light and fluffy, and more if you want it super oily and moisturizing (great for gifting to someone with more mature skin).
- For the essential oils, go 5-10 drops at a time, stir well, and sniff!
- Scoop into jars et voila. You can get fancy and add tags with your ingredients and instructions, or you can indulge your giftee in the following conversation about fresh homemade self-care:
DIY SCRUB TIPS
- Keep the product as dry as possible, water will make it mold. The best way to do this is to scoop some out into a small bowl and take that into the shower with you.
- Keeping it in the fridge will make it last forever (not really but a much longer time), but you may need to let it sit at room temperature before using. Cold scrub is especially lovely for beach mamas and mamas with over-heated itchy skin!
- It can be really fun to DIY a DIY. So for each wash, mama can pull out a few scoops of the scrub and customize however she wants with fresh mix-ins like yogurt, aloe, avocado, clay, salt, ground oats. These are one-time use ingredients so it’s best to stir them into a batch that you’re using right away.
- Get ready to be greasy. Your tub/shower too. Scrubs are the best at night, followed by wrapping up in as many comfy things as possible that can hang with a little bit of oil, like several towels or a robe. Or a robe made of towel omg. Otherwise, just towel off any excess!
- Yes the oil can go in your lady parts (maybe not the scrub though) and yes it is like lube and yes it is super sexy. Enjoy. (Please note: it may also break condoms. You can name your baby after SW though.)
- Scrubs can also be used on the face (be gentle) and you can scoop it straight into the bath tub or scrub your body then sit in a hot bath mmm.
DIY SCRUB RECIPE
Here’s a super easy starter recipe that makes two pint jars:
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 20-30 drops essential oil like lavender or peppermint
- Stir well, sniff well, and test on your arm to see if you like the consistency. Adjust and scoop into jars!
Now go love on all of the women in your life that love on you!